Sunday, August 14, 2011

Callington Mill...

Callington Mill organic stoneground flour from Oatlands in Tasmania.

The result: 2 great loaves of bread! Here's a slice toasted and topped with what I could scrape out of a jar of Crab Apple jelly.


Some friends bought us this very special stoneground flour, from the recently restored Callington Mill, while on their holiday in Tasmania. Built in 1837, it is Australia's only operating Georgian windmill [of the Lincolnshire style, apparently].


The resulting bread, once sliced, revealed a lovely light brown colour, as you can see. It has a delicious taste and a 'chewier' texture, in comparison to the flour that I usually bake with. I hope my friends enjoy their loaf as much as we're enjoying ours!

I was reminded of the our favourite milk bread that my parents used to buy for us, as children, from a great bakery just a short drive from where we lived. It was a weekly ritual. We usually managed to convince them to include half a dozen of the best cream buns I've ever eaten. Ahhh, the smells - I would go along just for that.

flour@callingtonmill.com.au
www.callingtonmill.com.au


Note:
check out this lovely story on Callington Mill, screened last night in Australia on the ABC. It was the first episode of the new series of 'Poh's Kitchen - on the road'. I really enjoyed it.

www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/episodes

The episode is titled 'Tasmanian Flour' and screened on Wednesday 31st August 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment